Post Heaven Bagua Palms
The Post Heaven Palms are a set of singular 64 martial forms, they are separated into 8 lines, of those lines each one consists of 8 forms. Each line focuses on a specific skill such as striking techniques, skilful methods, subtle methods, elbows kicking, footwork, and animal characteristics. Each line of Post Heaven Bagua is first practiced separately with stance holding, Sixty Four Entwining Palms.
Post-heaven Palm practice is based on “hardness”(gang). Within hardness is softness. Emphasis is in cultivating methodology, force and structure, seeking to achieve its skill from within.
This practice urges the development of power and lengthens the hitting distance. It uses the foot to assist the body and the arm to assist the palm. During practice attend to the Three Extensions; extend awareness, extend power and extend structure.
What are the key benefits of Post Heaven (Straight Line) Bagua?
- Learn to improve your complete structure whilst extending your posture
- Increase your internal and external strength
- Long practice helps you to become mentally calm and physically relaxed
- Helps the development of power and lengthens hitting distance
- Improves general coordination and timing
- Striking and kicking will be improved
- Unlocks movement without thinking
- Helps to cultivate energy
Special characteristics of each of the Post-heaven Palms
- Line 1 – Guiding Principles
- Line 2 – Hitting Methods
- Line 3 – Clever Methods
- Line 4 – Subtle methods
- Line 5 – Elbow Methods
- Line 6 – Leg Methods
- Line 7 – Stepping Methods
- Line 8 – Body Methods
After one’s skill is well developed, the Post heaven and Pre heaven Palms may unite as one. Upon interception one’s whole body may react with a natural entwining rhythm, one may regulate the interchange of hard and soft, empty and full. Assaults can be hard, fierce and violent or clever, slippery and cunning. Pre-heaven Palms are externally round and internally square while Post-heaven Palms are externally square and internally round.
Post Heaven Line 1
- 開掌 - Opening Palm
- 捧掌 - Upward Scooping Palm
- 扽掌 - Pulling Down Palm
- 探掌 - The Golden Dragon Puts Out Its Claws
- 立掌 - Vertical Palm
- 挑掌 - Rising Palm
- 蓋掌 - Covering Palm
- 纏掌 - Entwining Palm
The first line of Post Heaven Bagua contains all the principles seen in later Post Heaven Palms. Points to remember include: Stepping should be clean, the body should be nimble, energy and power should be sufficient, and hand movements should be clear.
Post Heaven Line 2
- 截肋掌 - Intercepting at the Ribs Palm
- 葉下藏花掌 - Flower Hidden Beneath The Leaf Palm
- 內砍掌 - Chopping from the Inside Palm
- 外削掌 - Cutting from the Outside Palm
- 二仙傳道 - Two Immortals Teach the Way Palm
- 惡虎撲羊 - Ferocious Tiger Pounces on Sheep Palm
- 鳳凰奪窩 - Phoenix Robs the Nest Palm
- 進退連環 - Continuously Advancing and Retreating palm
The second line of Post Heaven Bagua emphasizes fighting principles and their application. The techniques should be practiced until they become natural. Hands and eyes must be quick. When striking, the opponent cannot follow.
Post Heaven Line 3
- 穿肋掌 - Piercing the Ribs Palm
- 橫搬掌 - Horizontal Moving Palm
- 截手掌 - Intercepting Palm
- 攔手掌 - Blocking Palm
- 停身掌 - Stopping the Body Palm
- 翻手掌 - Overturning Palm
- 走行步 - Going away palm
- 轉身掌 - Turning the Body Palm
The third line of Post Heaven Bagua practices internal power, making the entire body sensitive and receptive. Like the grass that sways in the wind, once there is contact, there should be an immediate response. Palms strike with tremendous power, with no wasted movement.
Post Heaven Line 4
- 推山入海 - Push the Mountain into the Sea
- 力托千斤掌 - Upward lifting palm
- 帶扣掌 - Pulling and Fastening Palm
- 外領掌 - Lead to the Outside Palm
- 沾手掌 - Adhering Hands Palm
- 黏手掌 - Sticky Hands Palm
- 連手掌 - Continuous Hands Palm
- 隨手掌 - Following Hands Palm
The fourth line of Post Heaven Bagua practices “fajing” (explosive power) and is divided into four hard and four soft movements. These eight movements contain hidden and skillful principles. They look out for chances and change accordingly. Once the mind moves, the hands and feet respond. When eyes and spirit see a chance, the mind is already prepared.
Post Heaven Line 5
- 墩肘 - Back Elbow
- 盤肘 - Rolling Elbow
- 墜肘 - Sinking Elbow
- 頂肘 - Upwards Elbow
- 橫肘 - Horizontal Elbow
- 挫肘- Filing the elbow
- 疊肘 - Folding Elbow
- 鑽肘 - Drilling Elbow
The fifth line of Post Heaven Bagua teaches pressure point attacks and the disruption of sinews. The emphasis is on elbow techniques and rapid and ruthless movement used in close quarter fighting.
Post Heaven Line 6
- 前趨腿 - Front Shin Kick
- 後踹腿 - Rear Kick, Backward Stamping Kick
- 外擺腿 - Outside Crescent Kick
- 內掛腿 - Inside Hook(ing) Kick
- 上踢腿 - High Kick
- 下截腿 - Downward Cutting Kick
- 斜掃腿 - Diagonal Sweeping Kick
- 正撞腿 - Straight Jamming Kick
The sixth line of Post Heaven Bagua teaches kicking methods. Legs kick on three levels: high, mid-level, low. So the 8 kicks learned in this line become 24.
Post Heaven Line 7
- 掖掌 - Tucked (In) Palm
- 擠掌 - Pressing Palm
- 刁手 - Hook Hand Palm
- 摟手 - Embracing Body Palm
- 崩打 - Jabbing Strike
- 撞掌 - Crashing Palm
- 扣掌 - Hooking the face Palm
- 搬掌 - Moving Palm
The seventh line of Post Heaven Bagua teaches sticking and adhering techniques. The main focus lies on stepping methods. One’s hands are ever unpredictable and always changing. Hands and eyes move together; body and feet move as one.
Post Heaven Line 8
- 猿猴擣把 - Pounding and Grabbing
- 狸虎敲心 - Mongoose, Striking to the heart
- 吸身掌 - Drawing In The Body Palm
- 伏身撈胯 - Lean over the body, scoop the leg
- 搖身掌 - Swaying Body Palm
- 閃身掌 - Evasive Body Palm
- 橫撞掌 - Horizontal Crashing palm
- 猛虎躥山 - The Fierce Tiger leaps forward
The eighth line of Post Heaven Bagua teaches internal structure and the use of different states of mind. Body-movement should be quick; eyes and hands correspondingly fast. Within the body are changes between yin and yang and modulations between stillness and motion.
Nine Character Formula:
- Smooth: Move naturally.
- Brave: Being firm and resolute.
- Straightforward: Being heavy when executing techniques.
- Clever: Using the opponents force against him.
- Subtle: Being able to react with all parts of the body; the hands are unpredictable.
- Continuous: Sticking, adhering, linking, following; continuously executing techniques.
- Ruthless: No hesitation, be ruthless when moving.
- Rapid: Once there is contact, move fast.
- Skill: Internal and Outer Skill.
Post Heaven Bagua Line 1 - Foundation or Prototype
The Post Heaven line 1 is considered the foundation or prototype line, principles held within stand as a basis for all lines that follow.
Post Heaven Bagua Line 2 - Striking Techniques
Each of the forms displays a unique method of striking an opponent, combining palm and fist strikes with grabbing, pulling, chopping and cutting.
Post Heaven Bagua Line 3 - Skilfull Methods
As line three of the Post Heaven Bagua system focusses on skill you will only start learning it once you have mastered the first two lines.
Post Heaven Bagua Line 4 - Subtle Methods
The first four forms of line 4 require issuing power, whilst the remaining 4 need to embody a softer flexibility and skill.
Post Heaven Bagua Line 5 - Elbows
There is no secret with the elbow line, its about striking with the elbows. These techniques are extremely dangerous when applied in fighting.
Post Heaven Bagua Line 6 - Kicking
All kicks are practiced whilst firmly rooted to the ground, you wont find any jumping here.
Post Heaven Bagua Line 7 - Footwork
While the footwork in Post Heaven line 7 should be familiar you can begin to practice the form by moving more swiftly.
Post Heaven Bagua Line 8 - Body Methods
Body methods in the Post Heaven Forms possess animal characteristics, they are dragon, tiger, bear, monkey, snake, cat, eagle and leopard.