Guidelines for improving Internal Kung Fu in Post-Heaven Bagua:
Introducing traditional guidelines for improving Internal Kung Fu, I can remember first reading these and quietly liking them. By the time we got our hands on this list most of us had been training Internal kung fu daily for a couple of years in Taiwan at least.
My feeling with these kind of documents was that they were excellent at pointing out the really important aspects of movement in Baguazhang, but there is a huge difference in understanding and putting it into practice.
I don’t think that I’ve ever really followed the 24 Key demands too religiously and that was largely because we learnt how to do it by practising the movements and listening to our teacher.
Reading through these guidlines for improving Internal Kung Fu again the memories of all the Post-Heaven practical fighting application, movement and training from the years in training in Taiwan comes flooding back.
1. 眼要明 The eyes should be clear.
2. 耳要靈 The ears should be lively.
3. 手要快 The hands should be fast.
4. 肘要近 The elbows should stick next to the body.
5. 腿要彈 The legs should spring.
6. 裡要掩 Moving inwards the hand should close and turn.
7. 外要撥 Moving outwards the hand should open and twist.
8. 上要截 When the hand goes up, it should intercept.
9. 下要攔 When the hand moves downward, it should block.
10. 領要橫 Ling (leading) One hand will pull across.
11. 帶要順 Dai (leading, bringing along) Two hands pull along with the movement.
12. 摟要實 Lou (embracing) should be tight.
13. 抓要實 Zhua (grabbing) A grab must be solid.
14. 頓要擢 Dun (shocking and pulling down) should be done suddenly.
15. 托要準 Tuo (Lifting up) must be precise.
16. 掖要連 Ye (clasping) should be connected.
17. 擠要黏 Ji (pressing) should stick.
18. 刁要爆 Diao (hooking) should be explosive.
19. 崩要急 Beng (smashing) should be quick.
20. 撞要靠 Zhuang (crashing) should be done close.
21. 扳要猛 Ban (pulling against) should be fierce and swift.
22. 扣要狠 Kou (hooking) should be merciless.
23. 步要清 Footwork and stepping should be distinct.
24. 身要活 The body must be lively.